Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A promotion?

My 9-year old son, now officially a "tween", has just started to experiment with tiny little bits of independence. For instance, he prides himself on being able to shower and wash his hair without any help. He made the mature decision to save his allowance for a Nintendo DS (the $170.00 toy his mother refuses to buy him). At dinner time, he often reports his friends' (inappropriate) behavior at school, while assuring me "Don't worry, I know not to do that"! And though I feel some pangs about my baby growing up, mostly I'm pleased with his accomplishments. However... yesterday at the bus stop he inched over to me and whispered, "I've decided I'm not going to call you 'Mommy' anymore. I'm going to say just 'Mom'." Oh no! That's going to take some getting used to. But I guess we all have some adjustments to make as our kids grow into their own people. At least I don't get "Oh, please, Mother" with an eye roll...yet!

No comments: