Thursday, April 30, 2009

How do you measure (measure a year)?*

*apologies to Rent for pirating the title!

Turning 40 REALLY upset me. Silly, I know, but it took me a while to get my head around that number. Forty-one wasn't thrilling, either, since I've always had a strong aversion to prime numbers...but we don't need to get into that. I think forty-two's going to be just fine, though, if I can continue the trend begun in the the past year. While I didn't manage to revitalize the rainforests, or halt global warming, or visit the Great Pyramids, I did experience a whole lot of life's little pleasures, such as:

--I joined a hip-hop dance class (inspired by High School Musical? Revisiting my ballet recital days? Who knows!) which is 1-hour a week to shake and shimmy and rock my inner Beyonce (whose existence was previously a deep, dark secret, even to ME).
--I bought a keyboard and started working my way through a lesson book...which is at times extremely challenging, but also satisfying (when one of my sons walks in the room and says, "Hey, isn't that...Jingle Bells...right?").
--My baby went off to Kindergarten, which means both of the boys now spend their days in school, while I lounge in my pajamas and eat ice cream...I mean grocery shop and go to work and all that other stuff!
--I finally overcame inertia and laziness and a smidgen of fear, and broke ground on this blog, where I discovered my Writer persona (who turns out to be a bit of a narcissist, going on and on about herself and her family and expecting people to actually READ it!)

Not bad for 12 months' work...next year I'll scale Mt. Everest, learn Portugese, and improve my backhand. I'd better go get started...

No comments: